Sessions and Themes
- Shifting the paradigm: Vikas Saini
- Magical thinking and Modern medicine: Harvey Fineberg
- What makes us do it?
- What will it take to get us there?: Don Berwick
- What are the knowledge gaps in avoiding avoidable care?
- Case discussions
- What are the ethical issues?
- Medical journals and the issue of avoidable care
- The schizophrenic life of the hospital CEO
- A reason to change: Shannon Brownlee
- Social responsibility of physicians: Bernard Lown
- Behavior-changing Best practices
- Global dimensions of unnecessary care: Julio Frenk
- Payment mechanisms and the Culture of medicine
- Choosing wisely and beyond: What are the next steps?
- How can patients help drive the needed change?
Journal Articles & Papers
Preventing overdiagnosis: how to stop harming the healthy
Ray Moynihan, Jenny Doust, & David Henry, BMJ
The Value in the Evidence: Teaching Residents to “Choose Wisely”
Christopher Moriates, MD, Krishan Soni, MD, MBA, Andrew Lai, MD, MPH, & Sumant Ranji, MD, JAMA
Is Patient-Centered Care the Same As Person-Focused Care?
Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH, The Permanente Journal
Caregiving as moral experience
Arthur Kleinman, MD, The Lancet
“The Ultimate Decision Is Yours”: Exploring Patients’ Attitudes about the Overuse of Medical Interventions
David Schleifer, PhD & David J. Rothman, PhD, PLOS ONE
A Tale Of Dollars, Pediatrics, And Late-Night Calls About Infant Constipation
John Lantos, Health Affairs
A Caregiver’s Guide to Advanced Dementia
Daniel R Hoefer MD, CMO Outpatient Palliative Care and Hospice
What kind of physician will you be?
The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice