Sessions and Themes
- Shifting the paradigm: Vikas Saini
- Magical thinking and Modern medicine: Harvey Fineberg
- What makes us do it?
- What will it take to get us there?: Don Berwick
- What are the knowledge gaps in avoiding avoidable care?
- Case discussions
- What are the ethical issues?
- Medical journals and the issue of avoidable care
- The schizophrenic life of the hospital CEO
- A reason to change: Shannon Brownlee
- Social responsibility of physicians: Bernard Lown
- Behavior-changing Best practices
- Global dimensions of unnecessary care: Julio Frenk
- Payment mechanisms and the Culture of medicine
- Choosing wisely and beyond: What are the next steps?
- How can patients help drive the needed change?
Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health
Author: H. Gilbert Welch, MD
My Mother, Your Mother: Embracing “Slow Medicine,” the Compassionate Approach to Caring for Your Aging Loved Ones
Author: Dennis McCullough, MD
How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick in America
Author: Otis Webb Brawley, MD
Hope or Hype: The Obsession with Medical Advances and the High Cost of False Promises
Authors: Richard A. Deyo, MD, MPH and Donald L. Patrick, PhD, MSPH
Author: Maggie Mahar
Author: Shannon Brownlee, MsC